Thursday, September 12, 2013

Blogtember: Social Influence

 Discuss ways that blogging or social media has changed you.

Oh, the fine world of social media! With its great power to connect people from around the world in an instant and spread news faster than wildfire, it seems to be only good at surface level. Don't get me wrong, I love being able to connect with people, but when it comes down to it, I have seen many things about social media become not-so-wonderful. There's cyberbullying, and blackmail, and a more public kind of popularity contest.

I admit that I sometimes find myself being overly hard on myself over the fact that not as many of my friends "like" my pictures or statuses as other people get on theirs. I catch myself wondering "Do I not look good here?" or "Why isn't that funny enough?" It causes me to wonder if I even leave an impression at all on people. I am getting less and less concerned with this, but for a while, especially around my freshman year of high school, it was a HUGE deal to me and it made me feel really bad about myself. 

Enter blogging. When I started this blog, I decided not to share it with my friends and family at home for a while. Still to this day, only my boyfriend and my friend Quincy even knows about it. And honestly, that's okay. Because I have been able to put my true opinion out there and fully express myself without the worry of my friends and family being critical. Eventually I will tell everyone about it, but for now, it's just for me. And the great thing is that I have gotten quite a bit of positive feedback from complete strangers. And that feels really good.

~♥
Gabby

No comments:

Post a Comment