Monday, May 12, 2014

Candid Thoughts: On Importance


As I mentioned in a previous blog post, we recently adopted a new little kitten. We have finally chosen a name for him, Toby. He' about 7 weeks old by now, and he has absolutely captured my heart. He was still very young when we got him, so because I had him sleeping in my bed with me from the very first night, he's grown pretty attached to me. I think he sees me as "mommy." He always follows me around, looks for me when I leave the house, comes to me when he is hungry or scared, makes a point to curl up in my neck/chest area to fall asleep. And sometimes, when he isn't playful or when he is waking up from sleep, he just lays there, like he is in the picture above, and just stares at me. It isn't a "feed me" stare, or a "let's play" stare or even a "I need to use the litter box" stare. It's pure and perfect love. I'm only 19 and I've never been a mother, but if this is what it feels like, I am so excited for motherhood when my time comes.

The thing is, I've never felt so important. Even though there are other people living in the house, he looks to me 100% for his care. In his eyes, I am the most important person in the world. And that feels pretty damn good.

I got thinking about importance, and about how so many people, myself included, struggle with feeling like we are important. Many people don't believe that they have any value in the world because they don't believe that they are or can make a difference. Many believe that they have to please everyone to be considered important. And as I thought about this, it occurred to me that everyone who thinks like that needs to think again.

You see, there are 7 billion people in the world. Each person has their own set of ethics, beliefs, and personal values and opinions. Nobody is going to be able to please everyone in the world. Sorry Christians, but not even Jesus could do it. He was crucified, right? But Jesus is important to Christians. And just like that, every person is important. No, you don't have to be crucified for that to happen. 

Every decision we make is an important decision, whether it's as simple as turning left instead of right, or as complicated as deciding to start a family. Whether you realize it or not, there is always going to be someone who thinks you are the most important person in the world. Some people have millions who think this about them. Some have very few. Maybe some have only one. But to quote John Green's novel The Fault in our Stars, "Some infinities are bigger than other infinities." Someone looks up to you and thinks you are the most important person, and I promise you, you do not want to let them down. So if you are ever feeling unimportant, remember that someone is watching from afar, because you are the most important person to them.

~♥
Gabby

No comments:

Post a Comment