Saturday, August 9, 2014

Life Lately


Feeling: Vastly independent. For the past week, my mom and brother have been out of town, leaving me home with the animals. My friend Autumn stayed the week with me, but it still has been so refreshing to have no strict responsibilities. Of course, the animals have been cared for and the house is kept clean. But I can leave whenever I want and stay up as late as I want and blare my music all day and have guests over. It's revitalizing. We've gone to the movies, seen a play, dyed our hair, gone to the beach at sunrise, had a potluck with friends, attended a youth Bible study (which was very enlightening), gone out to a nice dinner... even though we planned on a really relaxing day or two, we pretty much stayed busy all week. I've been happy to be busy.

Watching: We went and saw The Purge: Anarchy, which wasn't bad. Also, we got to see our friend Emily in a major role in a small play here in town, which was exciting. I've currently been binge-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Netflix, although considering HuluPLUS's extensive collection of Classic Doctor Who episodes... Buffy may have to be put on hold once in a while.

Reading: Autumn's grandfather recently gave me a ton of old National Geographic magazines, B&W Photography magazines, film camera lenses and film, and books. I'm currently attempting to get into Everything is Illuminated by Johnathan Safran Foer. The format and language used is a bit difficult to decipher, but I am working through it slowly but surely. 

Excited For: I recently sent in my application to SCAD. Now all I have to do is get my transcripts, SAT scores, and letters of recommendation sent in and I should get an answer. Financial aid is a whole different story, especially with even SCAD's online schooling being $32,000 a year for tuition and books (Mamma mia!) I'm trying to keep a positive mind and research as many scholarship opportunities as possible.

Links I Love

  • This Youtube video addresses the issue or sexual harassment of catcalling in a humorous way.
  • This. Just this.
  • A very pressing article on Huffington Post that really makes you think about people who volunteer in foreign countries. (You know, the ones who make you feel like they do it just for the Instagram pictures.) Moral of the story: If you're not able to make a real contribution, don't even go.
~♥
Gabby




No comments:

Post a Comment